Monday, June 4, 2007

I really miss ASL

I tried to learn sign language in high school, but I couldn’t get past English word order. I fingerspelled everything. It must have been grueling to try to communicate with me.
But, a couple years ago, I had an opportunity to be involved in a group that included some deaf people. I thought I would never get it, until I went to a Silent Weekend (no English or voicing, only sign for 2 days), and it clicked.
Circustances being what they are with family responsibilities and such, I had to quit the group. I really miss it, and hope when my kids are older that I can be involved again.
If you’re trying to learn ASL, go to as many deaf functions as you can. If there are silent events near you, do what ever it takes to go. They are well worth it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of...or should I sign about sign language.....I saw Lani with her kids the other day! She looks great as usual and the kids are growing up fast like ours. It was cute. We were talking away and she would just be signing at the same time we were talking. She kept trying to stop herself and she couldn't!We kept laughing about it.What a great lady!
I hope to be able to learn ASL someday. It is on my TO DO LIST!
LB :o)

Contented said...

You can't mention signing around this area without LC coming up. I miss her!