Tuesday, June 12, 2007

This post starts with an appology. I've been very busy lately, and I think I've been short with a lot of people in my life. It's even crept in here, but today I was busy and having a bad day, and I said something that hurt my daughter's feelings.
I am very sorry that I said it. It wasn't meant to be hurtful, it was a thoughtless comment. But it addressed something that she's sensitive about, and I should have known it was important to her.
I would never want to say anything that would upset her. She's such a great kid, and I'm really proud of her. Unfortunately, she's a lot like me, and she sets standards for herself that are way too high.
Goals are great, but she needs to remember that goals are things that you're trying to do, not things that you are already able to do. You can't beat yourself up for not accomplishing your goals instantly. If you do reach them immediately, they weren't the right goals.
I just wish that my daughter and every woman on the planet could see that not being able to do something today, is not the same as never being able to do it. And, that Can't really can't.
I can't take back what I said today, but I can try to help her to see that what I said was just stupid. Moms make mistakes too. And even if I don't like the way she does something, I love her and her enthusiasm.

I do want to post here every day. But, when my family needs me, that's where I need to be. And that's the thought I leave you with today: Your children will never be the age they are today again. There will be other grocery shopping days, there will be more laundry and dishes tomorrow. But, when your child needs to talk, they can't wait. You can hire someone to do the housework, but no one can replace "mommy".

Go hug your kids.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There's not a mom on the planet who doesn't have to do this ... hopefully only once in a GREAT while, but, you know, sometimes.... how nice for the kids who have parents who do apologize- what a wonderful teaching tool this can be for them as they grow! To see when we do owe an apology to someone, DO IT. Don't just leave it there, 'oh well'... No, we can't take back what we've said, so try to not 'need'to do it too often, but if you 'need' to, give them something good to take away from it. Go, good mom!