Monday, June 4, 2007

What's for dinner?

I didn't plan well today. My kids are out of town, so it's just me and hubby for dinner. Now it's 5:30 and I have no idea what to make. I have ground turkey thawed. I was going to brown it off with some onion and garlic, add brown rice, some seasoning, and let it cook till the rice was done. Guess what? No rice in the house.
What can I do? I looked in a couple recipe books, but nothing looked good.
Here's what I'm going to do:

1. See what else is in the cupboard. - I have couscous. I like couscous, but it cooks in 5 minutes, whereas the rice would have taken 45. I've never done that before, would it be OK? I'm not sure I want to experiment.

2. Google "ground turkey couscous".
Wow, couscous is exotic, isn't it? I don't know that hubby is up for that tonight. I picked turkey, because he didn't feel great at lunch.
Yumsugar.com has a turkey couscous salad I might try another day. It calls for pomegranates, and wouldn't you know it, I'm fresh out.

3. Look at the clock and realize that it's getting closer to dinner time, and I'm not any closer to having it ready.
See, this is where perfectionism is killing me. But, atleast I'm able to see it. I will make sure the turkey is fully cooked while I'm browning it. I'll add the seasonings and the couscous and have it ready in 5 minutes. It will be fine. Breathe.
Now, I'm going to turn off my computer and make a nice dinner. It doesn't have to be perfect.

2 comments:

Jeremy Lowe said...

Well, it wasn't perfect, but it wasn't half bad either. The problem with couscous is that the instand kind gets lumpy and falls apart unlike rice that sticks together.

The good news is it is healthier for my waist line, the bad news is I ate dinner with a spoon!

Contented said...

See, that's why I like blogging, I never got feedback from the hubby before.