Friday, June 22, 2007

I signed up the kids for Virtual School

I am actually excited about school in the fall. I usually try to gear up over the summer, but this year, I'm really getting psyched.
This year, my son will start high school. It's a critical point. If we don't count credits correctly, he won't get a diploma, or be able to go to college. It's something I've really been dreading, because I'm not the world's best organizer.
The teacher that does our end of the year evaluations showed me the answer. It's called Florida Virtual School.
They're still considered home schoolers, they will still be elligible for dual enrollment, they won't have to take the FCAT, but all the classes and curiculum will be provided for them for free. They will get a teacher who will grade all their work and keep up with their progress. We will get progress reports, they will get grades.
They will have book reports and papers to write, they will have essays and labs. I won't have to worry if they're missing out on what high school has to offer academically. And they will be able to learn at their own pace, without the distractions of public school.
I'm sure it will be an adjustment, because I am not always dilligent about making them do all 30 math problems on the page. But, I think it will really prepare them for dual enrollment.

As an added bonus, I might actally get more done around the house. It looks like a win/win situation. I'll have to keep you posted.

No comments: