Thursday, June 7, 2007

OK, so there are nights when you don't have time to cook

When I started to eat "real" food, and get away from the stuff that's packed full of preservatives, I actually started to notice food. When I ate fast food, I never liked food, everything tasted the same. Now, I enjoy the flavors of the various rices available (yes rice has a flavor, and there are different flavors).
Cooking and eating real food is so much better for your body and soul. I really try to make dinner and eat at the table with my family each night.

Yes, I know. Sometimes life happens. It happened to me today. Reality is that there are days that you don't have time to cook.
So what do you do when the trip to the library runs longer than you thought it would? Don't pull into that drive through, step into the grocery store.
Yes, I know, you don't have time to cook. But, your local grocery store gives you healthier alternatives to burgers. Most of them have delis with rotiserie chicken. But skip the potato and macaroni salad, they're just high carb, low benefit sides. Grab one of the bagged salads in the produce section instead, hop over to the bakery for a crusty whole grain bread, and you've got dinner fit for company with no effort involved.
If that doesn't work, look at the frozen entrees. Wait! Don't go there without thinking. This section is full of high calorie, high fat, low quality choices. You have to be careful, but there are some that are really good.
My personal favorite brand is Kashi. There's no High Fructose corn syrup, or white pasta. They have real ingredients that actually taste good. And, because they use whole grains, they are high in fiber. When I used to try frozen entrees, hubby would eat two. They were too high in calories, but they didn't fill him up. We don't have that problem with these.
This isn't a long term plan, trust me, with the limited choices, your family will quickly tire of this. I still want you to plan a menu for next week. But, in a pinch, it's still better for you and tastes better than burgers and fries.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The chicken idea is great.Some stores even have different "flavors" of chicken. Like Mojo, lemon pepper, bbq etc. This adds a great twist if you have to do this at different times. You could also throw a rice dish with this that is quick. I have just recently tried the frozen dinners you mentioned. They aren't bad.