Friday, June 1, 2007

Is "focus" overrated?

The title of this started out as "I've got to be more focused". But, as I thought about it (while I was doing laundry, teaching the kids, and planning dinner) I realized that I might not be able to accomplish all I do if I only did one thing at a time.
FlyLady described us as butterflies. She said that one of the things butterflies are known for is flitting from flower to flower, never staying in one place very long. So, that's how I'm picturing myself today.
My lack of focus is only a problem when I interact with others. Can you imagine following a butterfly for a day? Infact, now that I think about it, the butterflies in my garden are usually alone. Sometimes I feel that no one will read my blog, because... well, besides the fact that I haven't tried hard enough to get it into search engines, because I flit from subject to subject. If someone wants housekeeping tips, or recipes, or gardening tips, they may find me in a search engine. But, they won't stay, because I won't have tips the next day.
The only time butterflies are in groups is when they migrate. A butterfly migration is amazing to watch. The sky fills with fluttering wings, a mass of undulating color. And, they all accomplish their goal together. So, even butterflies can cooperate. They just have to have a common goal.
FlyLady says to break big jobs into little pieces. She divides the house into "zones". I think I'm going to divide the week into zones. One day will be for crafts, one for recipes, etc.
Well, guess what? I have to flit to my next project already. I have friends in college that want a little algebra help, I have to drive my daughter to a party, and I have to make dinner. I'll work on this later tonight.
For now, be patient with me, I'm not as focused on this as I'd like to be. But, butterflies seldom are.

No comments: